The holiday seasons are here, the pumpkins are growing and it’s time to see how far we can throw em’. There is a sport called Pumpkin Chunkin that has been gaining popularity since 1986. What started off as hand made sling-shots eventually evolved into high powered rockets shooting pumpkins far off into the distance. Apparently pumpkins can be hurled over 4,000 feet. The World Championship Pumpkin Chunkin games are held in Sussex County Delaware.
- 2012 drew 20,000 people and 100k in ticket sales
- The championships have been shown the Discovery Channel every year since 2002
- It is organized by a volunteer committee
- The 1st record recorded in 1986 was only 178 feet
- The record for Pumpkin Chunkin is held by Young Glory III in 2008 at the height of 4,483.51 ft